Companies today are facing stricter and more precise regulatory requirements for the retention and protection of their corporate datasets.
Data management in most organizations is largely governed by the individuals responsible for the micro-management of servers and storage systems within the distributed network.
Corporate data management policies can be implemented on paper, but the ability to deploy policies onto the network is a different matter entirely.
Moonwalk™ delivers an intelligent and high performance software solution for deploying those corporate data management policies through heterogeneous environments.
The propagation of centrally-managed business rules throughout the storage environment enables customers to determine a single set of policies for data governance – and be certain these policies will be enforced.
Moonwalk™ is attribute-aware, enabling data management by project, location, user, group, size, name and time...making complex datasets easier to manage in simple policy expressions.
Moonwalk™ also offers users the opportunity to enrich their data storage environments and to reduce their overall expenditure on storage by the allocation of data storage budgets to coincide with the intrinsic value of specific data sets and the technology most appropriate for the task.
Historically, heterogeneous networks have been limited in their ability to capitalize on the evolution of data migration, storage tiering and other data management paradigms.
The management of such infrastructure requires the correct balance of software, hardware and data governance policies to enable the intelligent and proactive migration of data between storage tiers.
By enabling customers to move data from file system-captive primary storage volumes to secondary tiers and beyond, Moonwalk™ reduces the total cost of ownership of data governance while ensuring the data remains safe and immediately accessible.
As an Enterprise Data Management system Moonwalk™ is designed for complete interoperability with supported file systems – Windows, Linux, NetApp and Novell. It serves as a single technology to proactively, rather than reactively, manage the migration, copying and movement of data throughout the Enterprise.
By combining centralized configuration with distributed execution, Moonwalk™ avoids network congestion and computing resource consumption. Moonwalk™ enables file system data to be migrated transparently from primary storage to other storage tiers, object stores and cloud services.
A single technology that manages unstructured data, Moonwalk™:
- Automates the process of proactively migrating, moving or copying files to other file systems, object stores or cloud services
- Supports flexible rules that permit users to create policies that determine which files will be migrated, moved or copied
- Provides a single point from which the policies can be defined and executed
- Implements a distributed execution of rules and policies
- Runs on a variety of operating system platforms
- Requires a very small footprint in the operating environments
- Allows simulations to predict the impact of migration, to help administrators fine tune data management rules for optimum results and storage savings, and to confirm that policies will function as intended
- Provides a browser interface for easy configuration
Moonwalk™ restores control of data within the organization and optimises storage infrastructure. Benefits include:
- Centralized control of data across the enterprise
- Ability to implement discrete data governance policies that reflect the regulatory requirements affecting those data
- Ability to dynamically respond to issues relating to the governance of data
- Scheduling control to balance the movement of data with operational demands of critical resources across the network
- Ability to test rules and assumptions
- Reduced storage administrator workload
- Ability to assign data storage budgets to reflect the value of specific datasets
- Expanded scope for choosing operating platforms and storage technology
Reduction in overall data storage costs.